Now Hiring GREENHOUSE WORKER
The Mercer Society, Friends of Mercer Botanic Gardens (FMBG)
Greenhouse Worker Job Description - Part Time
Updated 29 May, 2023
The Greenhouse Worker will report directly to the Horticultural Manager located at the FMBG Horticultural Propagation Center. In the absence of a Horticultural Manager, the direct supervisor is the FMBG Board President. The Greenhouse Worker will assist the Horticultural Manager with greenhouse maintenance, plant and grounds care, and other specified projects at the FMBG Horticultural Propagation Center.
With direction from the Horticulture Manager the Worker will:
· Assist in the maintenance of the greenhouse/growing areas - weeds, ground cloth, shade cloth, sprinkler system repair, etc.
· Participate in regular maintenance of all plant material – watering, weeding, etc.
· Keep all work areas neat and organized – blowing the greenhouses, sweeping the potting shed, etc.
· Unload deliveries and situate supplies such as soil, mulch, and fertilizer
· Refill the soil bins in the Potting Shed as needed for volunteers and the Horticultural Manager
· Perform other duties as assigned
Job Dimensions and other Requirements
· Must be at least 18 years old and speak fluent English
· Capable of working outdoors year round for up to 4 hours per shift
· Have a desire to learn about plants
· Possessing basic handyman skills is a plus
· Part-time: 20 hours per week Monday – Friday, 8:00 am to 12:00 pm
· Pay: $12-$14 per hour depending on experience; and will be by direct deposit to Worker’s bank account
· A background check and drug screening will be administered prior to hiring. Worker may be subject to random testing as a condition of continued employment
· The worker is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers to handle, feel and reach with hands and arms; frequently required to sit, climb, or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear and taste or smell.
· The worker may be required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
· Specific vision abilities required by this job includes close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
· The worker works in outside weather conditions and is periodically exposed to heat, cold, humidity, rain, and dust.
· The noise level in the work environment is normally moderate.
· The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
How to Apply – Complete online application at https://form.jotform.com/222195085229155