Thank you for your interest in serving as a member of the Board of Directors of Friends of Mercer Botanic Gardens. Serving on the board
is a rewarding experience and an opportunity for personal and professional growth. Completing this form will help you
understand the skills and time/resource commitments of this leadership position. You may find it helpful to
read through the entire application and Board Member Responsibilities before you begin filling it out.
This application will be kept confidential and on file at the FMBG office. Applications are used by the Board’s Nominating Committee
to identify and evaluate potential board candidates. All new directors are elected by a majority vote of current board members.
The Mission of Friends of Mercer Botanic Gardens is to“Bring Together Plants, People and Opportunities”to benefit Mercer Botanic Gardens.
Friends of Mercer Botanic Gardens (TMS) is the nonprofit 501 (c) 3 organization of the Mercer Botanic Gardens working to enable Mercer Gardens
to fulfill its mission “To improve quality of life and inspire greater appreciation of the essential value and beauty of the plant world”.
Through fundraising, specialty plant sales, horticultural propagation and outreach that fosters and develops relationships, partnerships and connections,
TMS is a vibrant and essential partner of Mercer Botanic Gardens.
Together, Friends of Mercer Botanic Gardens and Mercer Botanic Gardens create a social space that draws people of all ages
to the Gardens for fun, learning, social interaction, quiet and peaceful spaces, beauty and personal enrichment.
BOARD MEMBER RESPONSIBILITIES
1) Serve a minimum of one (1) three-year term on the Board. Eligible to serve two (2) consecutive three-year terms if re-elected.
2) Each Director will be a member in good standing at the Supporter member level or higher
3) Each Director will make a meaningful personal gift annually above membership in the form of volunteer hours and/or cash donation.
4) Attend Board Meetings and other important meetings, as called. Four (4) to six (6) Board Meetings are held per year on the Second Tuesday of the month from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Come prepared to all meetings by reading materials sent in advance and by understanding the By-Laws and other governing documents.
5) Make a serious commitment to participate actively in the organization's committee work. FMBG/TMS is an active fundraising board where every director must serve on at least one committee. At present, the committees include Finance, Membership, Grants and Fundraising, Plant Sales and Horticultural Propagation Center, and Events.
6) Support and attend special events and programs put on by TMS and Mercer Botanic Gardens. Events currently include March Mart Plant Sale (last week of March), Pollinator Festival and Plant Sale (first Saturday of October), and Holiday in the Gardens (second Saturday of December). Many programs are put on by Mercer Botanic Gardens throughout the year.
7) Serve as a passionate advocate in everyday FMBG endeavors.